At PCI, our doctors only utilise TGA-approved prescription products that temporarily improve the appearance of both moderate to severe frown lines (between the brows), forehead lines and crow’s feet. Unlike a face lift or other kind of invasive facial rejuvenation procedure, anti-wrinkle injections take only minutes to perform and require no downtime. Using a very fine needle, the facial muscles that are responsible for unsightly wrinkles and fine lines are injected in order to relax the muscles thereby smoothing the overlying skin.
Commonly, anti-wrinkle injections are utilised in the upper face to treat areas such as the;
– frown lines (or 11’s),
– horizontal forehead lines, and the
– crow’s feet (lines around the eyes)
However, anti-wrinkle injections are versatile in their application and PCI doctors are all skilled in utilising these injections to be used for:
– Jawline slimming – reducing the masseter muscle bulk to give a softer and more slim aesthetic to the lower face
– Calf muscle reduction – gives a thinner appearance to the calf area
– TMD disorder (or Bruxism) – this aching ailment causes irritation in the jaw area and often lead to teeth grinding and pain in the jaw area. Perpetua doctors are skilled in utilising these injections to relax the jaw (masseter) muscle and dramatically reduce the effect of this disorder
– Excessive sweating, or hyperhidrosis – Anti-wrinkle injections are highly effective for treating excessive sweating by blocking the release of acetylcholine, thus causing sweat glands to stop producing sweat. Around 20-25 minor injections to the underarm area effectively reduces sweating by up to 90% within 2 days period, lasting up to 10 months, or even longer.
Anti-wrinkle injections work beneath the skin’s surface by targeting the underlying muscle activity that causes frown lines and crow’s feet to form over time. Normally when we squint, frown, or make other facial expressions, our nerves release a neurotransmitter chemical, known as acetylcholine. This neurotransmitter binds to receptors within the muscle to make it contract. Wrinkle relaxers work by binding to the acetylcholine receptors and blocking the signal from the nerve to the muscles. The effect is not permanent however and the muscle function will gradually return after approximately 3 – 4 months.
Anti-wrinkle injection will work on both the dynamic lines (those that appear when you express) and static wrinkle (those that remain regardless of expression). For deep static lines, anti-wrinkle injections can make a dramatic improvement over time.
There is no maximum age or skin type that won’t benefit from anti-wrinkle injections and many young men and women opt to utilise these types of injections as preventative measures for the development of lines and wrinkles. PCI doctors are highly skilled in the personalisation of all out treatments regardless of age or skin type. Please note that PCI doctors will only provide cosmetic injectable treatments to persons over the age of 18 years.
The procedure is invariably very well tolerated. Following your treatment, you can expect some mild redness and swelling in the treatment areas for approximately 10-20 minutes. Bruising is possible but unlikely, and most people will have their injections and then return to their daily activities with no-one the wiser that they have even had a treatment.
Typically, patients will start to notice the effect of the treatment in 3-4 days however it takes approximately 2 weeks for the full effect of the anti-wrinkle treatment to be seen. Typically, the effect will last approximately 3-4 months dependant on the dose and treatment area.